About the MEC
Manalapan Environmental Commission (MEC)
Who are we?
We are your neighbors – we live in Manalapan and volunteer to help our municipal government protect the environment and natural resources in our town.
Our tagline is “You make a difference!”
What do we do?
- Review development plans to identify potential environmental concerns
- Evaluate environmental problems and offer solutions
- Educate residents about ways to protect the local environment
- Help integrate environmental policies into local plans and projects
- Propose ordinances to protect the environment
- Help to increase recycling rates
- Advocate for planned open space protection
- Help GreenTeam aquire points toward their goal of obtaining sustainable Jersey certification for Manalapan
When do we meet?
We meet the second Monday of the month at 7:00pm in Town Hall
What are some of our projects?
- Environmental Tip of the Month advertised to residents
- Conducted educational workshops at Middle School for Earth Day
- Partnered with Pantano Nursery to build eco-friendly patio at Rec Center
- Partnered with MHS Environmental Club to paint nature murals
- Established a demonstration rain garden at the Rec Center to teach how plants can be used to help prevent pollution of our local waterways.
- Planted a Monarch Butterfly Waystation at the Rec Center to help save the endangered migration of the Monarch butterfly.
- Conducted rain barrel building workshops
- Held native plant sales
- Developed displays for Town Hall on topics such as rain barrels & recycling.
- Produced a series of shows for MTTN called “Green Matters in Manalapan” to educated residents on a variety of issues such as recycling, composting, energy conservation, and Monarch Butterflies.
- Increased road signs to help residents locate the recycling drop off center
- Created a traveling display about disposable plastic water bottles
- Worked with students in Manalapan school district on a variety of environmental projects.
- Wrote a brochure about Conservation Easements explaining their purpose and related rules.
- Received a $15,000 grant from ANJEC to plan walking and biking trails in Manalapan.
How to Contact us?
Send an email to MEC@mtnj.org